Page updated: 21 March 2019
Under the guidance of Thanet District Council, it is possible for the Parish Council to request a poll, should there be a necessity to do so. There are, however strict rules and guidelines which must be adhered to. Please read the document below, which outlines all the required commitments.
A summary of the procedures are:-
- A Parish meeting must be convened correctly.
- The Chairman/Vice Chairman should be present.
- The question must be relevant to the Parish Council and its electorate. The answer must be in the form of a “yes/no” or “for/against” answer.
- Once the question has been agreed by the Parish Council it cannot be amended (see rules in the document below).
- The question must be sent to the Returning Officer via the Parish Clerk or Chairman/Vice Chairman.
- It is for the Returning Officer to decide whether the question is valid or not.
- The Returning Officer will decide when the poll is to be.
- All costs will be incurred by the Parish Council.
- Since no poll cards or absent voters are provided at the poll (TDC will not be permitted to provide any forms of publication) – it is advisable that the Parish Council advertises the poll.
To download a copy of this document, click here (pdf 22kb)