KCC are considering withdrawal of the Service 42 / 42A (subsidised) bus service to save money.
If this goes ahead, Cliffsend will no longer receive a direct service through the centre of the village.
To ensure that Cliffsend still has village bus connections they propose to
- Divert service 9 (Canterbury bus) via Monkton and Minster providing hourly services to Ramsgate and Broadstairs as well as services to Canterbury in the opposite direction.
- This would continue to use the Canterbury Road West in Cliffsend, as at present.
- Replace the current service 43 (Sandwich bus) on the Sandwich Road by service 34. Service 34 would also serve the Nethercourt Estate & cover the school services currently provided by the 42 / 42A – Sandwich Technology College / Royal Harbour Academy / Christchurch Academy & St. George’s School – and connect to Nethercourt & Rydal Avenue & on to Westwood Cross.
- This would use the Sandwich Road in Cliffsend, as at present.
- The bus service would be renumbered as 34 / 34A.
- This bus would also run to the QEQM hospital in Margate, via Westwood Cross & St Peters (a roundabout rather than direct connection, but on the same vehicle) – a distinct advantage over the current requirement to change buses in Ramsgate to get to the hospital.
- BUT – the centre of Cliffsend would NOT have a bus service.
- Cliffsend residents who currently use the no. 42 would have to walk to and from either the Canterbury Road West or the Sandwich Road.
- This will particularly affect those needing to visit the GP surgery in Minster as they would have to use the no. 9 bus on the Canterbury Road West.
- KCC claim – “Service 9 can be accessed on Canterbury Road West (10-minute walk) and service 43 on Sandwich Road (5-minute walk).”
- For the majority of residents
- The walk to the Canterbury Road West is uphill all the way.
- Most of Foads Hill is without any footpath, very narrow, & sections have unyielding fences / hedges.
- Parts of Foads Lane are without any footpath, narrow, with parked vehicles & unyielding retaining garden walls.
- Both Foads Hill & Foads Lane are used as a “short cut / rat run” by drivers trying to dodge hold-ups at the Lord of the Manor roundabout.
A consultation on these proposed changes is underway :– https://consultations.kent.gov.uk/consult.ti/thanetconsultation/consultationHome
This consultation will run for four weeks from 22 November until 19 December 2018 (inclusive) and if progressed changes would be implemented in April 2019.
Plan of existing Cliffsend bus routes 351 Kb
Plan of proposed Cliffsend bus routes 384 Kb
The Parish Council have now submitted their response to this plan – please click here for the updated information.